Q-Park Bruul, Mechelen
Q-Park Bruul - Future proof parking with cars underground, a green park surface and favouring pedestrians, cyclists and public transport
Future proof - ring road parking
- It enables convenient car access balanced with mobility by bicycle and on foot.
- It creates space for an attractive area on a crucial axis between the main shopping street 'Bruul' and train station.
- It’s located under the inner ring road which was once the Roman city wall.
- It’s ideally located to serve shoppers, business visitors and users of public transport.
For Mechelen - an ancient Belgian town - this car park is part of a city-wide redevelopment programme to make the city more liveable, attractive and economically viable.
Mechelen’s mobility plan
Q-Park Bruul is part of the Mechelen ‘Vestenboulevard’ development and the long term Mechelen Mobility Plan. This mobility plan aims to coordinate sustainable mobility planning, preparation and implementation as well as to reach consensus among the various city departments concerned with space, mobility and traffic in and around the Mechelen urban area.
By moving the car park underground, Mechelen has been able to create a green pedestrian zone along the inner ring at this axis.
Bruul is an essential element in the planned redevelopment of Mechelen’s Roman fortifications*
From on-street parking to a green park
Before the underground car park was constructed, the space was used for on-street parking. Now the surface has been redeveloped to form an attractive green recreational park. This enhances the liveability of the area and favours pedestrians and cyclists.
From parked cars to a green park*
Easy access for motorist
Nudging motorists behaviour to reduce traffic*
* Landscaping and park design by OMGEVING cvba.
Easy access for pedestrians and cyclists
The Bruul car park has two transparent, welcoming and safe pedestrian pavilions which integrate perfectly with the surroundings. Each pavilion has a lift; the panoramic lift in the main pavilion near Mercierplein can be accessed on two sides, granting access to cyclists as well.
Bruul has two pedestrian pavilions. The primary pedestrian entrance is near Mercierplein, with a transparent exterior and panoramic lift for pedestrians and cyclists.
Q-Park signature features
- Two-level underground car park
- 352 parking spaces for cars (angled)
- 50 parking spaces for bicyles
- 6 e-charging stations
- One-way traffic
- LED lighting
- Smart lighting plan
- Dimming and light sensors
- Trimmed columns parallel to parking spaces
- Self-cleaning public toilet
“Q-Park Bruul represents the future of parking. Exchanging grey for green (cars for parks). ”